How Do I Choose A Realtor?
The most important decision you will make in the sale of your home is the Realtor you choose. Here are some points to consider:
1. Find someone you feel comfortable with:
- If you don’t feel you can ask questions or go to your Realtor, you chose the wrong Realtor.
- Your Realtor should show you research to back up any recommendations. This includes information on recent sales, current listings and recent expired listings in your neighborhood.
2. Choose a local Realtor:
- He or she will know your area better than an outsider.
- They will be seen as a source for people to relocate in your neighborhood.
- They will get better co-operation from other agents.
- It is likely that any amount you save by having a friend or relative from outside the area serve as your Realtor, will be lost in their lack of knowledge of the very specific local market.
- Ask for references from the Realtor. He or she should be willing to give you numbers of previous clients.
3. Ask your friends and acquaintances for recommendations.
- Make sure they have done business with the agent they are recommending.
- Make your final choice based on your needs.
4. Ask the Realtor to show you what will be done to market your home:
- Consider the office and company available to him or her. They are the agents support team.
- Be happy with the initiative and professionalism shown by the individual.
- Have them show you their marketing plan to get your home sold.
5. Look for a Realtor who tells you what he or she knows from experience:
- Look for a truthful agent who is willing to tell you the facts about the market and pricing your home, not what they think you want to hear.
- Flattery may sometimes get the listing, but it doesn’t sell the home.
- Having an agent who will keep you updated on a regular basis is important.
6. Complete a comparative market analysis:
- Your agent needs to compare your home’s value to that of your neighbors to give you a real feel for market value in your neighborhood.
7. What else to expect from your Realtor:
- Help you stage your home and generate curb appeal to ensure you get the highest price.
- Assist with obtaining offers and help you in negotiating the best deal as smoothly as possible.
- Compile a comprehensive plan detailing all the efforts they will employ to sell your home, including internet and local media.
- Help you find your next home and answer all of your questions about the local market area, including schools, neighborhoods, the local economy, and more.
Get the highest possible price for your home in the shortest possible time frame.